This one-pot parmesan orzo is an easy vegetarian dinner for cozy weeknights.
- 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced and cleaned
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small bunch of kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Add oil to a large stove top pot and bring to a medium heat.
- Add the leek with a big pinch of salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the leek begins to soften and caramelize.
- Add the dry orzo to the pot and stir to combine, toasting for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and asparagus to the pot with the 4 cups of vegetable broth. Bring up to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook orzo according to package instructions until cooked through and has thickened.
- Add the peas and the kale in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the cream and parmesan. Stir to combine until smooth and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs if desired.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: orzo, parmesan, vegetarian